22 March 2016

Knitting - Cat Cushion

My daughter wanted a new cushion for the nursery, and as I had loads of Drops Love You 5 cotton yarn left over from the cot blanket I decided that it would be good to make something matching.  I went through Pinterest, Ravelry and the web in general for a pattern.  Found a photo of a large stuffed cat cushion to buy but nothing I liked to knit.  What to do?  Have a go to make up my own, and here he is. I decided that it would be good to write up the pattern and share here.  Of course I take no responsibility for any mistakes, as its FREE you take the risk!  I think it's ok but I might have missed something obvious, I am not a pattern writer.


This cushion could be knitted in any weight yarn, the size will depend on what you use.  I used aran weight and the overall measurement is width 18" (47cm) x 13" (34cm) tall excluding the ears. This would be a great stash buster pattern.  You can use any stripe combo you like.

Materials: 250 grams aran weight yarn - cushion pad - 2 buttons - 4.5mm needles - straights and a small circular or dpns for the tail - 1 stitch marker - small amount of toy stuffing for tail

Body - (you will make 2 of these)
Cast on 46 stitches
Row 1 - purl
Row 2 - K1, Kfb, K to last 2 stitches Kfb K1 - 48 stitches
Row 3 - P1, Pfb, P to last 2 stitches Pfb P1- 50 stitches
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have 66 stitches  - you will have knitted 11 rows

Work in stocking stitch for a total of 55 rows from cast on in any stripe pattern you desire ending on a right side for next row
K1 K2tog K to last 3 stitches SSK K1
P all stitches
Repeat these 2 rows until you have 44 stitches - end on right side

Next row divide for ears - you will have 16 stitches for each ear and there will be 12 stitches to cast off for forehead.

Work on first 16 stitches
K2tog, K to last 2 stitches SSK
work 3 rows in stocking stitch
K2tog, K to last 2 stitches SSK
work 3 rows in stocking stitch
K2tog, K to last 2 stitches SSK
K row
P2tog, P to last 2 stitches P2tog
K2tog K2 K2tog
P2tog, P2tog
K2 tog

Rejoin yarn and cast off 12 stitches, slip the one stitch left on needle and work the second ear (16 stitches)

Tail
Cast on 30 st and join in the round and add stitch marker
Knit 45 rows in any stripe pattern
Dec 1 stitch each end of next row
Knit 7 rows
Dec 1 stitch each end of next row
Knit 7 rows
Dec 1 stitch each end of next row
Knit 4 rows
Dec 1 stitch each end of next row
K1 row
Dec 1 stitch each end of next row
Repeat last 2 rows until last 2 stitches then K2tog

Nose
Cast on 16 stitches
Knit 3 rows (garter stitch)
K1, K2tog knit to last 3 stitches SSK K1
Knit 1 row
Repeat last 2 rows until you have 4 stitches
K2tog twice
P2tog

Make up
Work in your ends!!!
Stuff the tail
I pinned the stuffed tail into the side seam of the 2 body parts, sew around leaving the bottom open for the cushion pad.  Then slip stitch to close.  Now the fun part the features!  I tried to embroider the nose 3 times and failed, hence the reason he now has a knitted nose.  Place your nose and sew on, embroider the mouth and whiskers, add the buttons for eyes.  I secured the tail half way up the side seam as I wanted it to stay erect, but you can leave it down if you wish.

If you decide to make my Cat cushion be sure to share your finished cushion on Ravelry or the Granny's World Facebook page 

Happy knitting, every house needs a Cat Cushion, I think I'll make another just for our bed, hubby will llove that!!!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for this adorable pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cushion Sue! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute. I can imagine leaving the top of the nose unsewn to create a tiny secret pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sue!
    I just stumbled upon your wonderful blog from my travels through Ravelry. I would lovelovelove to make your Cat Cushion pattern for my daughter, who will be leaving for college in September. My level of proficiency is beginner bordering on a little better. Do you feel that I would be successful with this project?
    Thank you for your wonderful blog, you are an inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there any way I could make this pattern a little smaller. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny. I like it. Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks lovely. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's becoming fashionable to be environmentalist but anything that helps in preserving the Earth is good. vävgarn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the pattern. I want to knit this for my daughter!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cushion and it is easy to do. I am a beginner and picked up on a mistake before I made it, I am so proud of myself. From one Grannie to another, thanks so much for pattern and some nifty ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you leave the bottom unsewn as to be able to remove the cushion for cleaning or did you sew it up? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. What do you use for a cushion pad for the bottom of the cat pillow? Do you have specific dimensions? Thank you - LOVE the result!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knitted this for my grandson a few years back. He will not go to bed with out it. It is getting worn so I am going to knit the second one for him. Thank you for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are always appreciated, whether good or bad!! I like to respond to comments with an individual reply, so make sure your e-mail address is visible in your profile. I can't send a response to "no-reply" bloggers.

Yours in friendship, Sue x